FOLAR is excited to be expanding our team and is accepting applications for our first Manager of Development and Philanthropy position. The Manager of Development and Philanthropy is key to building the philanthropy program of FOLAR, a well-established, high-performing, regional organization, and developing the resources needed to power our mission of working with our communities to conserve and protect the Appomattox River for all to enjoy.
The Manager of Development and Philanthropy is a primarily externally facing position with responsibility for working with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to identify corporate, foundation and public fundraising prospects, cultivating and stewarding relationships with them, developing funding proposals, soliciting, and following up on proposals in support of FOLAR’s philanthropy development priorities. In collaboration with the FOLAR team, the Manager of Development and Philanthropy will conduct the daily activities of FOLAR’s development program, organize and lead FOLAR fundraising, work with community partners, and other stakeholders to increase organizational awareness and revenue. This position is ideal for an experienced and dynamic fundraiser with a passion for building and stewarding relationships in support of environmental conservation and strengthening community.
MANAGER OF DEVELOPMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
General Fundraising – Work with the FOLAR Executive Director to:
- Develop and implement philanthropic fundraising strategies initiatives including goals and budget.
- Develop compelling cases for funding.
- Conduct research to identify corporate and private prospects, for both the organization and for specific programs and projects that align with FOLAR’s mission.
- Develop and execute solicitation strategies and effective stewardship to maintain support from existing major donors, corporate and foundation donors.
- Manage and plan communications and marketing programs and events to maximize fund development and prospect/donor engagement.
- Track and assess fundraising metrics and be able to generate reports upon request using Bloomerang DMS
- Support communication acknowledging donors and sponsors both privately and publicly
- With the Executive Director, determine the direction of the major gift program and lead execution of that plan.
- Build and maintain a prospect portfolio of individual large gift donors.
- Coordinate the major gift program and communications between prospects and FOLAR.
- Research and identify major gift prospects for cultivation and build relationships with major donor prospects.
- Solicit donations from major gift donors.
- Design and implement an effective major gift donor stewardship program.
Corporate and Foundation Relations
- Oversee prospecting and stewardship of regional and national corporate and foundation donors. Develop and maintain these relationships
- Maintain the grant calendar, effectively communicating and managing deadline
- Collaborate with staff on writing grant proposals and submitting interim and final reports on grants
- Create and present corporate sponsorship proposals
- Solicit and track in-kind contributions from corporate donors
- Meet annual targets for contributions from these sources
- Collaborate with corporate and foundation contacts to create new and creative modes of partnership
FOLAR IS LOOKING FOR A PERSON WITH THE FOLLOWING ATTRIBUTES AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a minimum 5 years of fund development experience and a record of successful fundraising results. Certificate in fundraising management preferred.
- Experience securing individual major gifts and donations/sponsorships including via events and programs.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with experience creating compelling and persuasive proposals.
- Team-oriented also works well independently.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing priorities within budget.
- Availability to work on site, outdoors and work a few evenings and weekends as needed for meetings and/or events.
- Proficient in Microsoft and Google-based applications and DMS/CMS and familiar with online communications tools.
Salary: Competitive. Dependent upon experience. Part time (Approx. 25-30 hours per week) with potential to full time.
Benefits: 10 paid annual holidays (Federal); flexible work schedule; work remotely. No health or retirement benefits.
If you think you are a good fit for this position, we’d like to hear from you. Please apply by sending your resume and cover letter to: Wendy Austin, Executive Director. Friends of the Lower Appomattox River (FOLAR), firstname.lastname@example.org. SUBJECT: HR-MANAGER OF DEVELOPMENT AND PHILANTHROPY
FOLAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FOLAR reserves the right to change or modify this job posting at any time without notice or obligation, to any party.